What is the GDPR?
The biggest regulatory changes that will soon be upon us – the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be implemented globally from 25th of May 2018.
Announced earlier in December 2015 by the EU commission, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be implemented on 25th of May 2018, and will eventually override the UK Data Protection Act 1998.
The new law, now termed as GDPR, is gearing up for a big change, to create a harmonized data privacy law across EU member states.
GDPR is wide-reaching in scope and expands the rights of individuals to control how their personal information is collected and processed. It also places a range of new obligations on organisations to be more accountable for data protection.
Who does the GDPR apply to?
The GDPR applies to all EU organisations that collect, store or process the personal data of individuals residing in the EU, including non-EU citizens.
Organisations based outside the EU that offer goods or services to EU residents, monitor their behaviour or process their personal data will also be subject to the GDPR.
What is WEBHOSTUK LIMITED doing, to comply with GDPR regulations?
The protection of our customer’s personal data is of utmost importance to us and we are committed to achieving compliance by May 25, 2018. We have classified our plan in 8 broad categories:
1) Updating our Terms and Conditions to reflect changes brought in by the GDPR
2) Updating our Privacy Statement to ensure that our customers know exactly what we do with their data
3) Minimising the amount of customer personal data that we collect and use
4) Reviewing our usage of personal data
5) Ensuring that the personal data we do hold is accurate and kept up to date
6) Ensuring that personal data is stored securely and that all relevant safeguards are in place
7) Reviewing the way we obtain marketing consents to ensure compliance with the “opt-in” principle contained in the GDPR
8) Reviewing all data processing agreements in place with our partners and suppliers to certify that third party processes are compliant with the GDPR
What happens next?
You will not notice any difference to the service you receive from WebHostUK Limited. We are simply making sure that we are fully compliant with the GDPR by 25th May 2018. If you have any specific queries, please contact Customer Care by emailing us on [email protected] or raise a ticket in your Online Control Panel.